Aghia Mavra castle: The castle of Aghia Mavra, located at the entrance of the island, is one of the most imposing medieval buildings in Greece and is typical of the fortification art of this period. It was built around 1300 from the Franks. The castle was protecting the capital of the island, against pirates and other enemies, from the first decade of 14th century since 1684.
Apollon temple at Lefkatas cape: Construction ruins and architectural parts of the temple of Apollon are located at Lefkatas or Doukato cape, in south Lefkada. This sanctuary was widely famous in the ancient world, as it was the place where Pan-Hellenic festivals have been taking place in honour of Apollon, every year. Apollon was the god who protected the marines and the doctor of body and soul. Ancients believed that, if you jump off the rocks of the cape, your soul would get free from the weight of passions and sins. From here, the female poet Sapfo allegedly leapt to her death from the 30 meters high cliffs, when she was abandoned by her beloved Faonas.
Findings of Palaeolithic and Neolithic period: The northern part of the island had been inhabited at the very early days, as the findings of Palaeolithic and Neolithic period (3.500 bc) prove. The findings were discovered from the excavations of the architect and archaeologist Wilhelm Dörpfeld in the “Hirospilia” (pigcave) of Evgiros and you can see them at the Archaeological Museum of Lefkada. In the valley of Vassiliki, the Archaeological Service has discovered ancient ruins of towers, probably, belonged to an ancient town and to the settlements of Klismatia, Marmara, Pyrgi and Marantohori.
Kastro (castle) or Kastromonastiro: The castle “Kastromonastiro” (meaning “fortified monastery”), is located near Episkopi settlement, on Kalamos island, but not many things are known about this magnificent monument. Today, only ruins from the high stone walls with the beautiful interior arches are preserved. It is also said that the mother of Georgios Karaiskakis (fighter of the Greek Revolution for Independence in 1821) has been buried here.
Nirikos: Nirikos was the name of the ancient city of Lefkada, located in the current Kalligoni, 2km outside and east of the town. The archaeological site includes the ruins of the surrounding settlement of ancient Lefkada, abandoned around 1300, dated from archaic to roman times, two cemeteries of the ancient town, graves, farmhouses and harbor facilities.
Tombs of Pro Hellenic period at Steno: In the valley of Nydri, the archaeological site, extended from the feet of Skaros Mountain to Magemenos, includes tombs of Pro Hellenic period at the place called Steno, graves and construction ruins. These ruins were discovered during the excavations of the famous architect and archaeologist Wilhelm Dorpfeld and date from the prehistoric to the roman years. Wilhelm Dorpfeld proposed the theory that the island of Lefkada was the Homeric Ithaca and that, in Nydri, was Odysseus palace. He loved Lefkada so much that he wished to be buried here. His tomb is located at the edge of the hill of Vlihos peninsula, over the church of Aghia Kiriaki.