To legally drive a car as a tourist in Thailand, especially if your license is not in English or Thai, you need an international driver’s License (IDP). Sometimes licenses in English are accepted without the need for translation.

An international driver’s license is very important, especially at checkpoints and when the authorities stop you on the road. Your IDP is also required by car rental companies if you plan to rent a car in Thailand. Your IDP is invalid without a driver’s license, so make sure you always take both documents with you while driving.

Can I get an international driving license in Thailand?

You may well get an international driving license in Thailand legally and drive a car both in Thailand and in other Southeast Asian countries: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Philippines. They have been operating for five years.

Do I need a license to rent a scooter or moped?

Everything is clear with the car, the rights are definitely needed. But the question often arises whether it is possible to take a motorcycle or a motorbike (aka a scooter or a moped) without a license. In fact, it is possible to rent in most cases, no one usually asks for the right to rent, but when meeting with a policeman, you will still have to answer to the fullest extent.

The rights to drive any two-wheeled vehicles in Thailand are needed, and the corresponding category “A” or “A1” should be opened for motorcycles with an engine capacity of less than 125 cubic centimeters. There is no such thing as category “M” for mopeds with an engine capacity of less than 50 cubic centimeters in Thailand. This follows from the local law “Motor Vehicle Act”, Article 42, which states that anyone who drives a motor vehicle on public roads must have an appropriate driver’s license.

How to renew an international driver’s license?

To extend the IDP status from the International Drivers Association, you only need to follow the same steps that you took when applying for an IDP. You don’t need to go to the transport bureau to update it; all you need is to fill out an online application form, submit the requirements and pay the fee.